From Pastor Jeanette
It seems we just put our Christmas decorations away as we now prepare for Lent. February 14 is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of the Lenten season. We will worship together Ash Wednesday evening at 7 in the sanctuary.
I am working on the story of Jeremiah for Lent, so I invite you to read Jeremiah for your own devotional reading. I ask you to read not to understand it word for word, but to allow God’s Spirit to wash over you with Jeremiah’s conflict of call, of service and of his frustration.
We can relate to Jeremiah: we are called, we serve the best that we can, and our frustration is often too real. The Church is supposed to contradict the world: the gospel stories call us to emancipation and wilderness on the road to newness.
- Emancipation from the societal demands of consumerism
- Emancipation from envying what our neighbors are able to do and we are not
- Emancipation from seeking the world’s approval of our lives instead of God’s approval.
- Wilderness in that we are to take time to self-examine
- To go deeper in our faith
- To be honest with those who are closest to us.
- Newness, or being born again, helps us be re-created to share the greatest commandment of loving our neighbor as we love ourselves.
The Church is to assert hope, because God has made promises. The Church is to assert mission because God has assigned the vision to human agents. The Church is to act to rehabilitate the neighbor, precisely when the vision of this age is to reduce, deprivilege and make the neighbor invisible. We are all equal in God’s eyes.
Ash Wednesday Service – 7:00 p.m. Sanctuary
Pastor’s vacation Friday, February 16 – Friday February 23 – Rev. Jack Wright will be preaching.
Red Cross Blood Drive, Tuesday, February 27 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Sign up with MJ Oravsky. Mjoravsky@gmail.com
Lenten Bible Study with Pastor on Wednesday’s March 7, 14, 21 & 28 at 7:00 p.m. in Lyle Hall. The topic is Jeremiah.
Easter is Sunday Worship Service, April 1, 2018 at 11:00 a.m.
P.O. Box 472 – 635 Washington Street
Cape May, New Jersey 08204